HP TECH TAKES
Exploring today's technology for tomorrow's possibilities
What to Look for in a Gaming Laptop
September 29, 2018
Check out our infographic showing what to look for in a gaming laptop
Discover all the key features and PC components that will supercharge your gaming experience, increase graphics performance, enhance your gameplay, and accelerate response times.
And take a look at our customizable HP OMEN gaming laptops and HP Pavilion gaming laptops that offer upgradeable options for all the hardware components specified, as well as cutting-edge gaming accessories.
- In today’s gaming world, visuals are everything. Your graphics card is what processes the data in order to display those visuals on your monitor. As you navigate and interact with the virtual gaming world, a better graphics card will produce a clearer and smoother image.
- Your high-quality graphics card is nothing without a top-notch gaming monitor. When it comes to game display, there are two main factors to consider: resolution and refresh rate.
- Look for a high-resolution monitor that has Full High Definition (FHD), Ultra High Definition (UHD), or 4K.
- Turning to refresh rate, a 60 Hz refresh rate is standard, a 120 Hz refresh rate will ensure the clearest images with the least amount of lag time. And for the ultimate gaming experience, try out a 144 Hz monitor.
- While your graphics card handles the graphics processing during gaming, your processor (CPU) handles everything else that is needed to run the game. A more powerful gaming CPU will ultimately result in boosted performance and an enhanced PC gaming experience.
- Your gaming laptop memory (RAM) is where files and data are temporarily stored, aiding in faster load speeds and performance. You should have at least 8GB of RAM, but it is recommended that you have 16GB to 32GB if you are looking for quicker boot and load times, and faster gaming performance.
- An often-overlooked component in choosing a gaming laptop, the gaming keyboard can play a major role in performance. A mechanical keyboard, built with gaming in mind, allows you to be more precise with your keystrokes, saves valuable time with faster response, and elevates your gameplay.
Learn more about what makes for a great gaming laptop, which HP gaming laptops are best for you, and which gaming laptops are within your budget on HP® Tech Takes.
Features of a gaming laptop infographic sources:
- Laptop Mag; How to Choose the Best Laptop Screen for You
- Laptop Mag; Gaming Laptop Buying Guide: Find the Right Rig
- LaptopNinja; The Five Main Things to Look for in a Gaming Laptop